Neighborhood Captain Program
Empowering Students to Fight Hunger…One Bag at a Time.
Dermer Dreams provides high school students a streamlined platform along with the supplies and support to run their own successful food drive.
Twice a year, students pick up the food and deliver it to our drop sites.
Upon completion of the program, students earn 10 Hours of Community Service.
Check out below How it Works & Strategies to Consider.
Watch this video – it will answer all of your questions about the Neighborhood Captain Program.
How It Works
Earn 10 Community Service Hours!
Create & Manage your own food drive.
- Students sign up as a Neighborhood Captain.
- Dermer Dreams delivers 100 donation bags to the Captain 2 weeks before the food drive.
- The Captain creates their strategy and distributes the donation bags one week before the food drive.
- On the date of the food drive, the student, along with a parent or adult over 18, pick up the donations and deliver them to the Dermer Dreams drop site.
- Upon delivery, the Captain receives a certificate for 10 Hours of Community Service
IT’S SIMPLE. WE PROVIDE YOU EVERYTHING AT NO COST TO YOU!
It is the Neighborhood Captain’s job to manage the program from start to finish.
Strategies to consider:
Use the ideas below and others you come up with to create the best strategy to collect as much food as possible.
- Use Venmo to raise money to go shopping and fill a portion of your bags.
- Give bags to family members & friends.
- Give multiple bags to people you know. For example, give 3 bags to 33 people you know instead of giving 100 bags to people you do not know.
- Include a personal note inside of the bag. It could be the reason why you want to help people who are less fortunate.
- Offer personal pick-up times where the person can text you to pick up.
Be Creative and Design the best strategy for you!
See how this student used Venmo to fill bags!